Su Casa Hispanic Center of Cincinnati is the main provider of educational, social, language, employment, and health care services to the Hispanic/Latino community in Greater Cincinnati. Su Casa was founded in 1997 as a program of Catholic Charities, which is a ministry of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati that has been serving the vulnerable members of the community for over 100 years. Su Casa offers a variety of services including health promotion services, emergency assistance services, and educational services. One of the educational services that Su Casa offers during the summer is the Vacaciones Útiles youth enrichment program. Since 2008, Vacaciones Útiles has focused on Hispanic/Latino youth to bridge the academic performance gap between them and their classmates. Vacaciones Útiles serves over 50 students each summer ranging from pre-school to second grade to help them grow academically, socially, artistically, and spiritually. The holistic program provides nutrition lessons, field trips, and plenty of time to exercise outside. Workshops are available for the parents throughout the summer regarding different topics such as stages of child development, health, and nutrition as well.
Cincinnati-Hamilton County Community Action Agency (location of Vacaciones Útiles program) - 1740 Langdon Farm Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45237
The intern will...
- Gain an appreciation for the educational, financial, social, and language difficulties that low-income Latino children face in the greater Cincinnati area.
- Work in a bilingual classroom setting of children ranging from pre-K to second grade as a teacher's assistant at Su Casa's Vacaciones Útiles program.
- Build rapport and positive relationships with the students in one-on-one as well as group settings.
- Serve as a leader/role model for students.
- Collaborate with teachers to plan lessons and activities for the students as well as lead lessons and activities.
- Assist with pre and post-testing as well as recording lesson plans and activities related to the weekly themes for future summers.
- Participate in on-site activities and field trips.
- Create and administer a lesson plan for the students focusing on an aspect of health and wellness such as hygiene, nutrition, exercise, or mental health (collaborate with teachers and camp coordinators to choose a theme).
- Work Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.. (Hours may shift depending on what lessons and activities need to be planned. Also, opportunities are available to make up hours in the evenings at childcare for ESL classes at Su Casa for UHP interns who are also participating in the Medical Spanish Elective.)
- Build a positive working relationship with staff and other interns from different programs at Vacaciones Útiles.
- Attend a 3 hour VIRTUS training session before the Vacaciones Útiles program starts.
- After the 8-week program, assist the Vacaciones Útiles staff with packing up and cleaning the classrooms, organizing and taking inventory of supplies, and writing up reports and feedback.