Crossroad Health Center is a Christian health organization that has dedicated itself to making health care available and affordable in Cincinnati. Crossroad's mission is to provide accessible, comprehensive health care in partnership with their patients and the community, leading to healthy, changed lives. Their Over-the-Rhine (OTR) location has a staff of seven physicians and two nurses. Most patients have incomes 100% to 200% below the Federal Poverty Level. Services offered at Crossroad include general medical care for all ages (immunizations, check-ups, management of acute and chronic problems), mental health counseling, podiatry, Spanish interpretation, and gynecologic and prenatal care.
The intern will...
- Begin to understand the complex issues facing the underprivileged (e.g., finances, nutrition, home environment, social services, access to health care).
- Gain an increased awareness of resources available to providers who care for urban, impoverished populations.
- Opportunities to shadow by asking medical providers.
- Administer a survey designed to assess the social determinants of health for the Medicare/Medicaid patients seen at CHC.
- If bilingual in Spanish, interpret for patients during the visit. (Individuals with Hispanic backgrounds comprise approximately 50% of the patient population.)
- Work on specific summer projects with the Clinical Coordinator, such as data collection/analysis on children with anemia, lead poisoning, and asthma, to improve quality of outcomes and care.
- Work Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m..
Note: Priority given to applicants that are bilingual in Spanish, have prior health clinic experience and/or have a desire to do health missions. This site welcomes interns of any religious denomination.