City Gospel Mission is an organization which works with men experiencing homelessness. While residents, the men are provided with financial counseling, job training, assistance in finding jobs, day program classes, shelter, and three meals a day. All the efforts of the mission are focused towards moving the men into positive housing, and each resident is assigned a case worker to help them work towards that goal. City Gospel Mission also works closely with their two addiction recovery programs, Having the Courage to Change and Exodus, in order to offer services to residents battling addiction. Other partners included Jobs Plus, a local employment agency, and the Lord's Gym, a nonprofit, low cost gym with programs offered to the residents.
The intern will...
- Be exposed to the living conditions, day-to-day concerns, and healthcare difficulties of people experiencing homelessness.
- Assist with the day program, including answering phones, dealing with resident concerns, and organizing donations.
- Have the option to shadow medical and nursing staff during the three weekly pop-up clinics at the shelter.
- Complete a project relating either to research on the health outcomes of residents or to a physical project relating to health education and wellness for residents.
- Work from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday with flexible hours available.