The Primary Pediatric Center (PPC) at Cincinnati Children's Hospital has over 35,000 patient visits per year, providing primary pediatric care to children from birth to adolescents. The patient population served is about 88% Medicaid and 5% uninsured. The clinic is open 6 days a week, as well as five evenings throughout the week. At the PPC, there are >20 attending physicians that have at least one shift per week. In addition, it is a large teaching facility with 160 residents and medical students training in the clinic each year. The PPC is integrally tied to the broader Cincinnati Children's Community Health Initiative. The aspiration for this Initiative is, “Together with families and the community we will help Cincinnati's kids to be the healthiest in the nation.”
The intern will...
- Gain insight into how financial barriers and social issues affect the basic healthcare of children.
- Acquire knowledge regarding legal procedures and involvement in health care.
- Assist Dr. Andrew Beck in Public Health and Quality Improvement research, including as it pertains to the Community Health Initiative and the regional response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Work with different community groups and obtain exposure to patient advocacy.
- Shadow residents, attending physicians, and social workers regularly in the PPC clinic as well as other specialties.
- Attend meetings throughout the summer with Dr. Beck and the other members of the Division of General and Community Pediatrics.
- Preference given to Pediatrics Scholars and individuals with prior public health experience.